[RC] Pigeon Fever - sandy

I have a five year old gelding with pigeon fever in his scrotom.  The vet saw him over a month ago and said it would just run its course.  He is swollen like a watermelon on one side and a cantaloupe on the other.  There was a small rupture on the cantaloupe side but it is beginning to scare me.  He still pees OK.  any suggestions.  He won't let me near it without kicking.