Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing w/ a horse that won't pulse down due to excitement - Sundaez

All this buddy horse stuff made me want to post what a 10k rider told me as he noted my mare had a tendency to buddy up with the horse she was going with. He said the first few rides are important to ride alone so your horse learns it has to go it alone and not be dependent on another horse. My horse usually is very good alone, but for some reason endurance rides exposed this "buddy" problem in her. She mainly was like that on the trail....if the buddy horse (which in her mind could be a horse we rode 10 minutes with) left she would give me a hard time. She never did this at home so I suspect it is anxiety about new trials. Also I am noticing the tendency to buddy is stronger in mares...I've seen geldings do it to but it seems more mares.

Mel