Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing w/ a horse that won't pulse down due to excitement - RDCARRIE

With this mare of mine, I make sure she has a buddy.  If anyone out there has another idea, please let me know.

I borrowed a friend's horse to take to Fort Stanton this year.  This gelding would not pulse down to be vetted in (pre-ride) without a buddy, nor would he pulse down during a ride without a buddy.  His owner had to get a buddy horse (could be just someone she had ridden the last loop with) to be near him in order to get him to pulse down.  I was determined that he wasn't gonna get away with that with me.  We got to Fort Stanton with a day to rest before the ride.  During that day, I took the horse down to the vet area alone several times during the day...he'd spin, holler, and generally go nuts.  I'd tell him sternly to QUIT, and slap him in the chest (not hard) with the lead rope, and make him back up about 20 feet every time he hollered.  When he gave me just a few seconds of standing quietly, I praised him, and we returned to camp (and his buddy), although we had to stop and back up a couple of times since he hollered on the way back.  About the 3rd time we did this, when he stood quietly (he did so sooner each time), I trotted him out, then returned to camp.  He successfully vetted in alone that evening, and at each vet check during the 55 the next day.  It was a good start in teaching him that he needs to listen to his handler and not scream for a buddy, and that good behavior will get him back to camp sooner.  He was a different horse after several days at that ride...vetted fairly quietly, would stop and stand quietly while being walked, even with his buddy back in camp hollering, etc.  It just took some time and patience in working with him.  He's not there yet...his owner will need to continue reinforcing what was started.  But he's improved a bit.

Dawn in East Texas