Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing w/ a horse that won't pulse down due to excitement - Karla Watson

Yes I agree to start a novice horse out alone at rides. My young horse started out this season always in the company of my daughter's horse. Then by the 3rd ride my daughter did a higher distance and my horse screamed, bucked and kicked in his corral for an hour until our start. Tieing to the trailer or walking him was not much better. He thrashed himself around so much that he was pulled. Probably very sore from all that kicking the corral. I would recommend camping them alone first few rides.  -------Karla Watson/Portland, OR
He said the first few rides are important to ride alone so your horse learns it has to go it alone and not be dependent on another horse. My horse usually is very good alone, but for some reason endurance rides exposed this "buddy" problem in her. She mainly was like that on the trail....if the buddy horse (which in her mind could be a horse we rode 10 minutes with) left she would give me a hard time. She never did this at home so I suspect it is anxiety about new trials. Also I am noticing the tendency to buddy is stronger in mares...I've seen geldings do it to but it seems more mares.

Mel