Re: [RC] [RC] Dealing w/ a horse that won't pulse down due to excitement - Becky Rohwer

I don't think that is just for novice horses either.  I have ridden my mare for 8 years now in competition.  I find that if I travel alone and for the most part ride alone, at least at the beginning of the ride I have far fewer problems with her than if I travel with someone.  Yes, she is a mare, and can buddy up in a hurry.  I hate having to fight with her over what horse she feels she needs to stick with.  If I am specifically planning on riding with someone it is OK if I travel with them.  But if not, I find it better to just do my thing and not have to deal with that.  I do find that it works well later in the ride if I happen to buddy up with someone who is pretty much going my pace as by then mare has settled down and is starting to lack motivation.  But it's not unusual for me to ride the full distance alone.  Works better for me anyway.

Becky R. - Montana