Re: [RC] rasping - heidi

     In my experience the periople is a very soft layer found at the top
edge of the hoof.  This protects this upper area from dehydration.
It often dries into a very thin layer and can swell up when the
horse's hoof gets wet.         Sometimes it is wider as a result of
a long period of wet weather, or if it is inflamed.  But,  in my
experience it doesn't descend down the entire foot!

On the healthy foot, it quite frequently does.

     Actually I am not a zealot nor a religious fanatic about shoes vs
no shoes.  I didn't know that expressing one's views here created
labels.  As to your statement above, I would love to see where this
has worked.  I have never seen this and I am ALWAYS  open to
different views, experiences and perceptions.  Do you have a case
study available?

I've never taken the time to look up case studies--been too busy doing it
in real life.  But some of the more educated farriers I've worked with
have certainly cited case studies to me.

I know many others that would be very interested
in these results.  I think we all want what is best for our horses
and provide according to our capabilities.  Not everyone has access
to proficient farriers who can do what you are saying is possible.
In all sincerity, I would love to have knowledge of this recovery.

I don't think it is difficult information to come by.  It is really a
pretty common practice.  (Which is why I reacted the way I did to your
statement that you "disagree"--I've worked with numerous farriers who
understood how to do this, and would NOT continue to work with one who
didn't, or who at least wouldn't follow my directions with regard to how
to do it.  That was the case with the gelding in question--farrier was a
novice at his trade, and kind of shook his head, but did acknowledge after
the first few shoeings that the foot was certainly regaining a more normal
roundish shape.)  If memory serves, I've seen such information cited at
AAEP meetings as well--but wouldn't swear to it.

One of the more common applications of this is in horses with underrun
heels that tend to break down--by putting the heel of the shoe where the
heel of the foot OUGHT to be (even if it means that a tag of shoe hangs
out past the back of the foot), one usually CAN correct the problem.  The
horse needs this base of support anyway--and if he is barefoot and
underrun, you can't give it to him.  You can keep trimming frequently and
gradually alter it--but you can get his heel growing where it needs to be
much more quickly by getting "heel" under him with a shoe so that the
actual stresses at the coronet band are where they ought to be.

Heidi