[RC] rasping - Candace Kahn

     Hi Heidi,
     In my experience the periople is a very soft layer found at the top edge of the hoof.  This protects this upper area from dehydration.  It often dries into a very thin layer and can swell up when the horse's hoof gets wet.
     Sometimes it is wider as a result of a long period of wet weather, or if it is inflamed.  But,  in my experience it doesn't descend down the entire foot!

     "You can disagree--I can personally show you horses where it has worked.  I
am riding one now that has had his feet completely normalize after 18
months of shoeing him by leaving the shoe out where the hoof wall should
have been.  By placing a support there, the foot grew to that point.
Previously, his heel was contracted on one side--and no amount of barefoot
trimming would change it, because simply trimming did not put a support
out where it was needed.  It is not an uncommon thing, and can be done by
any farrier that truly understands hoof balance.  (And while the thread is
about rasping, the forum deals with how best to handle our horses so that
they have maximal soundness and health.)  FWIW, the above horse now also
continues to grow normally when barefoot--something he had never done
before.  (And he is in his teens...)"

     Actually I am not a zealot nor a religious fanatic about shoes vs no shoes.  I didn't know that expressing one's views here created labels.  As to your statement above, I would love to see where this has worked.  I have never seen this and I am ALWAYS  open to different views, experiences and perceptions.  Do you have a case study available?  I know many others that would be very interested in these results.  I think we all want what is best for our horses and provide according to our capabilities.  Not everyone has access to proficient farriers who can do what you are saying is possible.  In all sincerity, I would love to have knowledge of this recovery.

candy

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
www.boaboots.com
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149