Re: [RC] Ground Control shoes and Club Feet? - Truman Prevatt

I think that how well any of the plastic shoes - ground control, equiflex, etc. work depends on first the horse and second where you live. My farrier was putting GC on a couple of endurance horses last year. I tired equiflex on mine. I really liked them the first time then our wet season starts. In FL our biggest problem with feet is they get too wet in the summer.

The second time I noticed the feet were starting to break up around the nail heads - never had that before. I also noticed a little flare on one foot - never had that before. I went back to steel. My farrier told me that all his clients that used GC had the same experience and were back to steel.

They probably work fine on some horses under some conditions in some environments. If that is the only thing you have changed and the problem started chances are they may not be the right choice for you situation.

Truman

Ridecamp Guest wrote:
Please Reply to: Karen ndrnce@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a young gelding with a right front club foot.  The farrier I use has done an excellent job with this foot and it has come along great in the past couple years.  he is however a tender foot so started looking into the use of Ground Control shoes.  Other folks I know have had much success with them and they appeared to be an option for him.

First time he was shod with them he was immediately lame.  Did not know at the time if it was due to some bruising from a ride which took place a week or so prior.  After a week or so he was no longer lame but did notice the nails came out on the outside (the club foot) after a ride.  Shoe was reset and he has done well with them the past 4 weeks.

Saturday was his time for another appt.  Farrier noticed lots of growth in his feet and was please with the amount of heel that grew on the club foot.  Replaced the shoes and once again he was lame when I went out to ride yesterday morning (Sunday).  Same foot.

Have an appt. with the farrier after work and am taking his steel shoes to replace the GC's.  However, am wanting to make these work BUT....

Any suggestions out there?  Anyone have had these type of issues with a club foot?

thanks,

karen