Re: [RC] Life span usefulness. - Truman Prevatt

I know one that was working cattle into his mid 20's. The only reason he retired was his owner sold his cattle and concentrated full time on farming a more financially lucrative crop - soybeans in this case.

The old boy sitll was going "pleasure riding" into his 30's and died at a ripe old age of about 37.   I hear he bucked someone off when he was 35:-)!

So just with every breed - there are some good ones and some not so good.

Truman

Dot Wiggins wrote:
There are QHs and QHs.  I've had several that were healthy, happy, and
useful well into 20s. And know of many others.   And most did lots of hard
work, including endurance rides for some.  QHs have suffered the same as
Arabs from poor selections of breeding stock.
I've heard that many of the Doc Bars (and there are a lot) have a shorter
than average life span.

I hate to see a whole breed trashed because of the "show ring"
representatives and types.   The Arab folks are just as guilty of promoting
poor quality as some QH breeders.

There are fine, useful, tough, healthy horses in all the light horse breeds,
if you get out of the show circles.
It's not very practical to put the time, training and money into a horse
that isn't going to be there a long time.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."