Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1693 can a horse get mentally conditioned to a trail - Chipnml

Yes! Yes! Yes!  I had one of my worst rides of the season a couple weeks ago.  Oh, he was sound, he was metabolically stable, but he fought and pulled the ENTIRE 50 miles.  It was like he regressed about 10 years.  Why?  It was a park I condition in regularly and he just didn't take it seriously.  He's used to doing about 15 miles, then going home.  He's used to sprinting at certain areas and couldn't understand why we were just trotting.  I've always held it's very difficult to do a ride where you condition.  At this point in his career it wouldn't do any good to do slow rides up there...he also knows the difference between a ride and conditoning.

Chip and SA Cheers (still capable of making me miserable, but worth it for when he's good)