Re: [RC] Can a Horse get Mentally conditioned to a Trail - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Tess Searcy morabs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I was told the very same thing many years ago that you can't condition a horse
& compete on the same trail.  One guy said he hated to do a ride where he has
conditioned cause his horse always wanted to run up the same hill where he has
always ran.

Our horses are creatures of habit, if you Always trot the same area of trail or
gallop up the same hill the horse will do as TRAINED.  Also if the horse learns
that they have to listen to their rider for direction, NOT always galloping up
the same hill, trotting the same stretch of trail etc, then the horse will do
as told where ever he is on any trail.

I am talking from experience here.  I have ridden the same trails for 15 years,
we also have many rides here, Spook Run, Chicken Chase, Top of the Rock.  I
never trot, gallop or walk the same area, Never.  I also do the trails
backwards, different loops at different times, always mixing it up.  My horse
may ask to gallop up the hill sometimes he gets to sometimes not. I also go to
the same rides therefore the same trails in other states.  I have a horse I
have competed for 17 years he knows ALL of these trails.  Another horse has
trained & competed for the last 8 years on these same trails at home & in other
states.  We never do the same thing twice, this way the horse does not
anticipate what is to come.  They know the trail but they don't know what speed
they will be asked to do it in.  If they are fussy after a loop turn around &
do the same loop again backwards, they think they are done then they are not.
Works best with the very smart ones to keep them guessing.