Re: [RC] Comments on breeding and selection - heidi

Kind of like the ads for "endurance prospect" only to find out that Mr.
Egg  Beater legs couldn't get around the show ring without clipping
himself and so  now becauase he has "ebergy to burn" he is an endurance
prospect. Most of the  time, those horses sport less than admirable
lines when it comes to endurance.  Sad, but when someone asks me what I
think of so-and-so horse for endurance,  if I see a "successful halter
champ" too close up in the pedigree, I find it  hard to look for any
other possible redeeming qualities therein. For sure, there  are some,
albeit  generations back - or once in the whole 6 generation  pedigree -
but in general that would be a horse I would stay away from myself.

My "thumb rule" is whether the show wins are before or after the 60s.
Prior to that, judging had a lot more to do with quality, and many of the
early "show" horses are exactly what we see excelling as riding horses
today.  But that was because they WERE the best of programs aimed at
producing riding horses, instead of the extreme caricatures of programs
designed to breed AWAY from riding type.

My favorite ads are the ones that claim the horse is an endurance prospect
because they can't slow him down, or just because he is tall.  (Guess they
never met the Rios and Kahlils and Drubins and the many other top horses
of the sport, eh?)  I also used to get really disgusted at going to show
barns and being led out back to see the ugly ones as soon as I let slip
that I was an endurance rider...  <sigh>

Heidi