Re: [RC] Horse Buying/Selling - Chris Paus

Amen!

I spend about $10,000 a year for mare and stallion
care/services, foal care, feed, farrier (yes, I'm one
of those who actually gets broodmare's feet trimmed!).
Some of that money goes to the care and feeding of my
riding horses, but most of it goes into breeding and
all the peripheral stuff needed... fences, trips to
the vet, meds, good quality groceries... etc.

I make about $2,000 to $3,000 selling one or two foals
each year. Clearly, the profit is not there! I will
NOT give my babies away for $500 like many breeders
do. I raise quality babies. If people want bargains,
they can get the babies with crooked legs, bad
manners, jug heads, etc. OTOH, I simply can't price
the foals high enough to break even, let alone make a
profit. I can get more money for them if I keep them
to 3 or 4, get them started under saddle, but then
I've invested a lot more in their feed and care, so I
still don't break even.

Case in point, I have a perfectly handsome and
athletic colt here, born in April. Between breeding
fees and emergency vet care (he crashed a week after
foaling, but is fine now), I've got $1,500 into him.
That doesn't even count a penny for mare care during
gestation or lactation, or the money I'll spend on him
for vet care, groceries and feed after weaning.  How
many endurance riders will pay $2,000 for a weanling
colt? Anyone??? His pasture mate, thankfully, cost a
lot less to get on the ground, so I MIGHT even things
out with his sale.

Not to  mention all the HOURS of my time that go into
foal watch, breeding, driving, training, feeding,
pasture care....you can't even figure that into the
equasion or you'll have a heart attack when you look
at the bottom line.

I'm starting to realize now that while I get a million
dollars worth of satisfaction out of watching the
birthing process, seeing new foals nurse and run, and
watching them grow up and then finally seeing them
settle into new homes with someone who loves them, I
can't live on satisfaction or pay the bills with it.
It also has really worn into my personal riding time.
I ride and compete a whole lot less than when I just
had a couple of riding horses around!

It's a shame, too, that it works out this way, because
my babies are starting to get out in the world where
people are noticing them and wanting them. But  my
pocketbook and energy bank are not limitless. Not to
mention I have to keep justifying to the IRS every
year why I keep doing this if I make no money, LOL...

It truly is a labor of love. I was hoping when I
started this, to be able to raise a couple of really
nice ones for myself and help subsidize my riding with
the others. I've got my young mare who  I hope will be
my last forever horse, but it turns out I'm scrambling
giving riding lessons, training and consulting to keep
the breeding business going, LOL. Yes, Heidi, you can
say "I told you so," tee hee...  it's been worth it to
see these babies and feel like I've contributed
something to the sport, but my participation in this
end can't last forever...

My .02 worth.

chris

--- goearth <goearth@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello,  A trainer asked me the other day... " why
i'm not breeding anymore cause i bred some good
ones", as i was showing a horse for sale that i had
raised.  The answer was..."I lost money and no
longer care to loose money subsidizing the sport."
Thank you all, for again pointing out the real facts
of what it takes to get a horse to the 5-6 yo
trained, ready to go to a ride level.  Maybe if
people realize what it costs (and the time and risk)
 they will pay for the most important aspect of
Endurance Riding...The Horse.  30-50k for a truck,
10-50k for a trailer, 1-3k for a saddle (yea i know
there are cheap ones,i rode my 300$  20yo Wintec
last night) , etc...and people think they can go get
the most important aspect of the equation for 3-5k.
The reality is the Arab breeders have been
subsidizing the sport since the start, mainly with
the show culls (from my personal perspective).  I
have marketed probably 50 (and bred 10 or so when i
had the stallion and the mares) or so horses and now
in the process of being the agent for a seller of 2,
one that i had sold in the past and her baby.  Even
tho i'm marketing them to friends and have agreed to
drop my sales commission, to make the horses more
affordable and go to a home where i know they'd be
well taken care of and not just another flash in the
pan as has happened in the past, the owner will
'Loose Money".  Personally, i think that you should
go look at the horse you are buying and see them up
close and see if there is a bond,  feel the ears
inside and out and see what all the issues are and
then, go sleep on it and make a rational decision on
something that could be a part of your family for 20
plus years. The only people who make money on horses
are those that don't own them.  So, if one looses
money breeding, the only thing left is to make sure
they go to a good home.  Be happy and may everyone
find that perfect horse and friend.  tom sites

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus