Re: [RC] Horse Buying/Selling - Lif Strand

At 04:59 AM 7/19/2004, goearth wrote:
Hello, A trainer asked me the other day... " why i'm not breeding anymore cause i bred some good ones", as i was showing a horse for sale that i had raised. The answer was..."I lost money and no longer care to loose money subsidizing the sport."

That is exactly where I am at right now. And here's what I think about this (from a horse breeder's point of view):

No endurance buyers -> no endurance breeders
No endurance breeders -> no horses bred for the sport, the job
No horses bred for the sport -> buyers/riders mostly get horses bred for other jobs
Riding horses bred for other jobs -> more injuries, more risk to rider and horse
More injuries, more risk to rider and horse -> risk for the sport of endurance riding itself

Things could change for the better from a horse breeder's point of view. But I can't, as Tom says, lose money subsidizing the sport while waiting for that change. My logic may be faulty but that's what my heart and my checkbook tell me.

________________________________ Lif Strand fasterhorses.com Quemado NM USA