Re: [RC] The real "poop" on porta potties for a trailer - Lif Strand

At 05:26 AM 7/19/2004, Karen Casemier wrote:
Any suggestions for specific models are also appreciated. I'm looking for something with the minimal amount of "ew gross" factor.

Do you compost at home? Then I've got a suggestion for you. You can use a 5 gal bucket and a toilet seat, and buy yourself a bag of alfalfa rabbit pellets. Put a 1" layer in the bottom of your bucket and then go ahead and use the "toilet", adding more pellets to cover anything that you feel needs covering - you don't need a lot of pellets to do this. There will be no smell, and you can simply dump the contents in your compost pile once you get home. If you're going to put toilet paper in the "toilet", use the biodegradable kind. The compost should be made to get very hot, and you might not want to use the end result on root vegetables. If you do the proper layering of compost with leaves, straw, etc. etc. you will get a very rich compost which will not have any resemblance to the original contents!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA