Re: [RC] The real 'poop' on porta potties for a trailer - heidi

Anyone who is brave enough to tell me how these different portable
toilets  work, please speak up! I'm looking primarily for something to
use for  weekend camping (I hate having to crawl out of the tent and
tromp 1/2 a mile  to the outhouse in the middle of the night) and for
day use at areas that do  not have toilets. Any suggestions for specific
models are also appreciated.  I'm looking for something with the minimal
amount of "ew gross" factor.

I've used a portapotty for years, and am on my 2nd or 3rd one.  I don't
see that different brands are much different.  I don't bother with the
water in the top part--just makes it tougher to lug around.  I just have a
gallon jug full of water next to mine to wash anything down the hole that
needs washing down the hole, and find it works much better than the
"flusher."  So I just get the least expensive model I can find when I'm in
the market.

I'm surprised that so many folks seem to be grossed out by cleaning them
out--if you use the proper RV toilet chemicals in them, they are pretty
inoffensive, IMO.  The chemical pretty well "digests" the stinky stuff,
and although it is blue and lumpy and gross-looking, it usually doesn't
smell bad.  I just dump the contents down my toilet at home (or use an RV
dump station if I'm on the road for a long time--but they contain plenty
for just me for a ride weekend without having to find a dump site), and
then rinse the thing out a few times and put new chemical in for next
time.  I don't get too radical about scrubbing them out inside--after two
or three years of regular use, I just get a new one!  (I figure it's paid
its way by then anyway.)

Being middle-aged and frequently having to get up and pee in the night, I
really appreciate mine--and it also means that I can park where it is easy
to pack horse water and not worry about parking strategically close to the
portajohns...  <g>  I'm not adverse to just going outside to pee in the
dark, but would sure hate to embarrass anybody when the parking is
close...  <g>

I also sure find it handy when I drink too much Pepsi to stay awake on the
drive home and can just pull over any old place and go back to the trailer
and use the potty when all that Pepsi starts to go through...  :-)

Heidi