Re: [RC] the healing process and proud flesh - Karen Sullivan

guess what?

We have about the same darn thing.....horse took a huge flap of skin off top
of foot, about
2" square, entire back above heel bulb on side.....could not even be
stitched, I trimmed off
skin...no idea how she did it.

It is extremely slow to heal..and a worry to wrap or keep clean.

I have been alternating keeping it wrapped with gauze with combination of
Dermalone (inhibits
proud flesh) and furazone, with scrubbing it with betadine.  When it gets
too oozy I hit it with some
wonder dust...but messege I am getting is not to let it dry out....

She is in stall at night, sometimes with it left to air.....and covered and
out at pasture in the day

Anyway, actual wound now seems preltty tough...and we can cover with gauze,
some vet wrap...
duct tape the whole darn thing pretty good, cover with bell boot and ride
her with no adverse results.
She was never lame on it....vet said as long as it didn't look infected, and
I was doing betadine scrub..and
furazone...then don't worry about antibiotice.

Fortunately, this mare is the accident prone one; the only good thing about
that is she is used to having
banged up legs handled and treated.  Maybe you can have a helper  hold up a
front leg so you can get a
good scrub and cleaning on the leg...
Karen