RE: [RC] the healing process and proud flesh - Susan E. Garlinghouse

Here is how I manage this type of wound.  Yes, it will take sedation at
least the first time to adequately handle the leg.  If there is currently
proud flesh forming, then it needs to be carved back down to the level of
the 'normal' surrounding skin.  There are no nerve endings in granulation
tissue, but tons of vascularization, so it will bleed like a stuck pig.  I
don't like Wound Dust, or any other irritating substances, and the research
on wound management is that they just make things worse overall.  If a wound
is fresh, then use a triple antibiotic ointment, a firm clean dressing and
that's it.  If it's proud flesh that has been carved down, then you use an
antibiotic cream with steroids that will suppress further granulation
formation.  Apply a non-stick telfa pad, and put a firm pressure wrap on,
usually bandaging well above and below to keep the wrap in place and
uncontaminated.  You have to know what you're doing to apply enough pressure
without causing further injury, rolled cotton or a combo wrap for padding is
very useful.  Brown gauze, vetrap, elastikon over that and leave it alone.
The less movement to the joint, the less future proud flesh formation there
will be, so confinement to a small pen or whatever is preferred.  She
shouldn't be ridden until completely healed.  The bandage needs to be
changed about once every week to ten days, only more often if it gets wet or
otherwise contaminated.  The idea is to keep the wound clean, moist, stable
and with enough pressure to retard further formation.  If you stick to the
program before the proud flesh matures and hardens, you should have good
results.  Once the excessive tissue has been resected, it's possible for you
to do the bandage changes if the mare will allow you to handle her leg (it's
not painful).  You might ask the vet to leave some sedation that you can
give IM or squirt into her mouth, +/- some additional help of a twitch or
lip chain.  If not, you'll have to get the vet to come do it under sedation.

Good luck.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS