RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Hi Tie / Corral - DreamWeaver

At 09:48 AM 1/16/2004, terry banister wrote:
If the horse gets a hind leg over the rope, as you have it now, how do you unhook it quickly?
Why do you need to hang water buckets on the trailer? Why not just set a muck bucket or tub of water on the ground?

Hi Terry -- well, I've had it happen once with both Weaver and Rocky. Once was at the Washoe ride, and we were all sitting there in chairs probably 25 feet away from where the horse was on the tie. We watched him do it, but it's like watching a movie in slo-mo....nothing you can do about it! He was itching his left ear with his right hind hoof and when he put the back leg down it went over the rope. I got up and ran over, but by then he was already flailing about, and I knew that I could not get close enough to do anything. So I had to wait until he flailed around in a circle on three legs and then went plop onto the ground. It felt like an earthquake. Once he went down, he did not move, since he knew I would rescue him (this is where hobble training *really* comes in handy, because once the horse is down and continues to struggle is when they could really get hurt). At that point I reached up and undid the quick release snap. Thank goodness Gordon Westergard was there to bend my tie-arm back up into place. The velcro on the top did not give, even tho the metal arm bent. Weaver got a rope burn, I had brought him to ride on the yellow loop Friday which I had done (I only live 15 miles from there) and had Rocky there and entered in the ride the next day. Weird how that works out. Rocky did the same thing at another ride, only he did it while he was lying down asleep one night and either rolled, or got up with a leg somehow over his rope. I heard the commotion and by the time I got out there, he had broken the rope and was standing up shaking, but not injured in any way (the velcro did not give that time either). Since then, neither horse has put a leg over the rope and they have each spent months worth of nights on the ties. They lie down each night, and very regularly roll on the ties so I think that getting caught once for each of them was simply a learning lesson, which took very well :-). Now, my youngest horse Chief has spent quite a few nights already on the ties and has not done his 'first time' getting tangled. Will he? He might, and when he does I hope that the hobble training I have done with him has instilled in him to stay still and not fight until he gets rescued. I can only hope. I try to reinforce hobble training on all of the horses every year.

Now as far as why put the water buckets on the trailer. The answer is simple. Because Weaver and Rocky both will turn around on the ties and poop in the muck buckets. <sigh> They don't seem to do it when the buckets are on the side of the trailer though. Plus, if a muck bucket is where they can reach it to drink and eat out of, it will be in their way if they go to lie down or roll. I like to keep as much of that area clear as possible for them.

Karen
in NV