Re: [RC] [RC] Awards, the horse's perspective - Truman Prevatt

You put your finger on the issue. There is a problem that needs addressing but a knee jerk solution is not the proper way to go. We need to keep trying to first understand what is the root cause of the problem and take creative actions to address it. It is not going to go away and could eat our lunch if we put our heads in the sand. If we get "help" on this issue they won't give two hoots about the difference between good horses and good riders and a few bad apples and we all will lose because of the worngs of a few.

Truman

Joe Long wrote:

For a fit, talented horse, an extended rest is only needed if he has been
overridden, where he has been damaged by excessive stress.  He will recover
fully  from a vigorous effort that is *within* his abilities in a few days.  The
multi-day rides demonstrate that good horses well ridden can Top Ten day after
day and stay fit and healthy.

Jim has put his finger on a real problem, in that there are riders who overdo
and then bring the horse back and overdo again, with the horse not yet recovered
from the previous abuse.  That is a downward spiral to disaster.  I agree that
we need to work to alleviate that, but a blanket rule that penalizes everyone
for the wrongs of a few is not, in my opinion, a workable way to go about it.

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."