Re: [RC] [RC] Awards, the horse's perspective - Joe Long

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 14:34:22 +0000, "Nancy Mitts" <mitts_n@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This makes the assumption that all top ten riders have ridden their horse to
the edge of it's ability and need an enforced, extended rest.
There are small rides where there might be one or two fast times and the
rest of the top ten just trickle in. Sometimes only 10 complete.
Nancy Mitts

The assumption comes up short even for large rides and competitive riders.  Many
times during Kahlil's career we raced for first place two or three times a
month.  I would sometimes use a 50-mile ride as a "tuneup" for a 100-mile ride a
week later, and still run for first place on the 50.  Kahlil never suffered any
ill effects from this schedule (and he's now 31 and still a sound and happy
horse).

For a fit, talented horse, an extended rest is only needed if he has been
overridden, where he has been damaged by excessive stress.  He will recover
fully  from a vigorous effort that is *within* his abilities in a few days.  The
multi-day rides demonstrate that good horses well ridden can Top Ten day after
day and stay fit and healthy.

Jim has put his finger on a real problem, in that there are riders who overdo
and then bring the horse back and overdo again, with the horse not yet recovered
from the previous abuse.  That is a downward spiral to disaster.  I agree that
we need to work to alleviate that, but a blanket rule that penalizes everyone
for the wrongs of a few is not, in my opinion, a workable way to go about it.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx