Re: [RC] We have hit the 100 mark on signatures! - Bette Lamore

Didn't mean to offend you, Lynn. Heidi's response was pretty strong that people who have signed have not yet been in the position to "realize that we can't achieve the public support through advertising until we have the products we claim to have."
I believe that we already have enough of these "products" and my experience with the Arabian substantiates that for me.
That is the part of Heidi's response to which you alluded and that is the reason for my response. Didn't realize the word "boycott" had such a valence for you--- it was merely a term other than "decision not to sign-- whatever"
(shorter) not meant to be an indictment. Signing or not signing does not reflect on me; I would have sent it with only my own signature if no one had signed. I am just amazed that so many so-called show people are endorsing something that also addresses the needs of distance riders. I think that it is very cool that many of us are together on these issues. No one said that this letter was meant to be a solution to a problem that has been around for a long time--- just another effort to address some of the issues involved-- the issues that AHA can do something about. So far as the breeding is concerned, again, I think the problem lies mainly in the handling and what is expected of Arabians in the show ring. Have you seen the English Pleasure classes lately--- they are the Park classes of years ago and the Park classes have Arabs who look like hackneys (And are they??....)
These unrealistic demands are likely to fry any horse's brain-- particularly smart and sensitive ones. These are the horses that many times are the public's first look at the Arabian. I'm in favor of providing a more Arabian-friendly view. Now the trainer problem-- that is a whole other issue and I believe if the horses were not expected to perform in such a crazy manner in the show ring (nose touching the ground,,, head pulled into the chest so they cannot see what is in front of them, looking crazed in English pleasure and halter, etc)-- then the trainers would not train them in this fashion. It is a start, that's all. I am also not a fan of the working with a horse two hours in the round pen and then expecting him to be dead broke (aka Montie Roberts style) fads --- that is an equally dangerous practice eroding that started with Quarter horses and now seeping into the Arabian sector. there are many issues that need addressing. A journey of 1000 miles begins....
Bette and Bunny who has never been used as a weapon, only as an example of the Arabian heart and spirit and the efforts of a community including ridecamp

Lynne Glazer wrote:

Bette
I completely discard your assumption that I did not read the whole letter. Forgive me for being terse in my reply, and not addressing the point by point items with which I disagree.

Please do not beat me over the head with the story of Bunny. Please do not assume that my experience with Arabians has been the crazy ones. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Claiming that there is a "boycott" of your letter does you a disservice. As if something has been organized. People are just making CHOICES. You made a choice to post the letter and invite people to sign. Don't get yourself all worked up because people don't agree with you!

There has already been revision recently as regards distance riding awards within AHA. They are making progress. Now they need to address the sane breeding of classic Arabian horses.

>>The breeders themselves have to learn what constitutes a good riding
horse, and select breeding stock accordingly. It does us no good to put
the image of the classic sane and athletic Arabian horse on the marquee if
the product behind the advertising is still a flighty, spooky critter that
a doting dad would not consider buying for his horse-crazy daughter to
ride.<<

That's what Heidi said. That's what I stand behind.

And >>The good news is that riders ARE becoming more educated to the fact that
just being a purebred Arab isn't enough--the horse also has to actually
POSSESS the qualities that made the Arab desirable as a riding and
distance horse in the first place. And they ARE learning to shop for
those qualities. Furthermore, those same riders are also not apt to sign
a petition that suggests that the only problem is the marketing arm--they
know better, because they've experienced the difference. But I am not at
all surprised that those from outside the endurance community are happy to
endorse such a petition--they have likely not yet found themselves in the
position to realize that we can't achieve the public support through
advertising until we have the products we claim to have.<<

That, too.