Re: [RC] Just when you think you know - Becky Rohwer

Tom,
     I know just what you mean.  Recently experienced something similar in ride camp at Fort Howes.  My mare is generally very quiet.  Even when there are loose horses at night I never hear a peep out of her.  But this particular Friday night just after my friend and I had settled down to try to sleep before the ride the next day I start hearing a horse that sounds awfully familiar raising a rucks.  I mentioned to my friend that it sounded like my mare.  I opened the camper door and sure enough she was frantic in her corral, circling and calling.  I told her to hush up, then I crawled back to bed.  Next thing we heard were horses running down the road at race track speed.  Loose horses in camp, and my mare was still frantically calling me.
     I got up tossed on a coat and shoes and went out.  Mare was so frantic I was concerned that she was going to bust out to go with them.  Another Montana rider came by just then.  I said "loose horses huh"?  "Yup" she said, they are Brown's.  She also said she just heard wire stretch.  Not good!!  Now it all started to make sense.  My mare was familiar with one of the loose horses.  When she was calling to me it was as if she were saying SOMETHINGS WRONG, SOMETHINGS WRONG, COME HELP!
     I got my friend out of bed to come help.  It was dark out, but we looked next to our trailer and sure enough the electric fence was down and there were two horses missing.  We took my friends horse out of her corral as that mare had been practically standing nose to nose with the two loose horses.  We were told that the runaways were in a large open field.  It was too dark for us to see them, but Kadeshia could see them.  While my friend stood in the field holding her horse, I just looked where the mare was looking at and started walking and calling for Trixz.  I just had a lead rope in my hands.  Trixz was kind of the innocent horse in all this.  We think she was just along for the run, but seemed relieved and willing to be caught.  The other horse didn't want to be left alone, so she stood quietly as someone else put a halter on her.  Then we saw that it was the second horse, not Trixz that hit the fence.  There was quite a bit of blood as there were a couple good sized cuts across her chest.  Also quite a few scratches on her legs.  They weren't terrible injuries, but looked pretty bad as it was a grey, so the blood really showed up.  She got stitched up that night, and of course wasn't able to go out on the trail the next day, but would definately live to go another day.
     So I learned that night when my mare is calling me I best come quick because someone she knows is in trouble.

Becky R. - Montana