From: <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <Tshuck64@xxxxxxx>
Cc: <Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 1:36 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Portable Corrals

I am preparing for my first ever "limited distance" ride and I am not
sure  how I am going to keep my horse overnight. I really dont want to
tie him because  my trailer is a two horse slant and it has a spare tire
mounted on the side  and he is always rubbing on it and I am afraid he
will get hung up on it. I  have looked into portable panels, they are
very expensive for what you get. It  seems like a horse would reach
under one for grass and lift them right up and  cause a wreak. I would
really like to use electric tape, at least 3 strands. I  have read a lot
of horror story's about all the wreaks involving electric  fences and
loose horses at camp and I am thinking of not even going because it
sounds like ride camps can be very WILD.... I am open for any advice. I
will be  attending rides in central Oregon.. Thanks

Usually ride camps are fine, but it does pay to have YOUR horse secured so
that if someone else's horse isn't, yours does not get caught up in a
problem.

Angie's solution is a good one--IF there are trees, and IF you are allowed
to tie to them, which is often not the case at central Oregon rides.
(Angie, remember that in Oregon, they HUG trees, they do not secure
livestock to them by ropes.  Yes, this was a novel concept for me when I
lived there, too--being from Idaho... <g>)  So odds are you won't be able
to utilize it where you're going.

Erika is right that if you use electric fence, you need to get your horse
used to it at home.  But having YOUR horse used to it does not preclude a
loose horse from running through it and "liberating" your horse--which
kind of defeats the purpose.  I'm not a big fan of them for that reason,
despite the fact that many of my own horses live just fine in hot tape at
home.

Tying is still the safest--but your concerns about the spare tire are
valid.  Can you tie the horse to the other side, or are there "hazards" on
that side as well?  Or can you get one of those metal tire covers so that
he can't foul himself on it?

If not, I'd consider one of the overhead tie systems.  I also know folks
who have clever hubbies or friends or who are clever welders themselves
and who have made their own.  They are pretty simple and one of the safer
alternatives.

Angie is right about tying with a cotton rope--if you do get into a
jackpot,you are less apt to burn your horse.  And by all means, have your
horse "rope broke"--this isn't just a matter of saving his hide if he gets
hung up when tied, but can also save your own neck if you happen to ride
into a hazard on the trail.  Get him used to having legs "captured" by a
rope and tied up at home in a no-stress situation--then if it happens
somewhere else by accident, he is apt to wait for you to come rescue him,
instead of fighting it.

And personally, I'd far rather have to sacrifice a halter rope to a
hung-up horse by having to cut it with a sharp knife than have to go
hunting my horse in the boonies full of all sorts of hazards.

Heidi