[RC] Just when you think you know - goearth

Just when you think you know something, you find out you only have a clue.  This dog had been howling all day in the distance and curiosity took the hold of me and i went to investigate with a side arm and cell phone cause if it was a trapper i was after him.   Going to the source of the howling and seeing a medium sized dog growling and snarling at me down off the road in a creek bed.  It was a nasty looking dog and its teeth told me to stay away as it barked, snarled and howled at me.  Because it wagged its tail i thought this dog is lost or who knows what.  I fired 2 shots and the dog scampered off up the hill and i thought the situation is resolved as i walk away and hear more gentle moaning and howling.  Then, after i think i resolved this problem i go back and see this small black hairy mass amongst the rock in the creek bed, as it moaned.  Thinking this area is full of rabidness, i am hesitant.  Do i shoot this mass of fluff?   I think maybe i should pull it out and then think of safety and think no,  it'll probably bite me.  There was this rock that must have weighed 75 lbs on top of his head and as soon as i managed this rock off his head,  he must have been looking for something under this rock, he looked bewildered and ran off.   The Moral of this Story is that when you think you know the situation, more information comes along and you see that you don't know nothing but the clues, and those that do the howling may be doing a service to something or someone.  It was a good day for learning and i'm glad this dog had a friend.  tom sites