RE: [RC] Tevis training-Blue Ridge, GA - Jim Holland

owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cowgirgoof@xxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 8:26 PM
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Tevis training-Blue Ridge, GA

Well if you've never been to Blue Ridge, Georgia, you just don't know what
you are missing.
My husband and I just got home from there after a wonderful visit/ training
ride with Jim Holland and his "significant other" Joan Tipton.
Blue Ridge is a quaint little town nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains
about 4 miles from the Tennessee and North Carolina borders.

Becky, Ken, and "George" arrived about 5:30 on Tuesday.  George is such a
neat guy.  Joan took one look and said "He even LOOKS like a George!"  He
was pretty laid back about everything.  At first, he was a little
apprehensive about entering the stall and being fed there.  My large stalls
are open to the inside of the barn hallway and also open to the outside into
small bare corrals, which are attached to small grass paddocks.  Although
you can close the outside stall doors, I seldom do that. The guys are free
to come and go as they wish into the outside corrals when they are up at the
barn.  Each stall has an overhead fan, and the 12 foot ceiling over the
stalls has a 48" exhaust fan. Nice breeze, cool, and no flies.  George was a
little suspicious at first, and stayed outside in some heavy rain Tuesday
evening.  However, being a pretty smart guy, by the next day he was "parked"
in the stall out of the rain and flies with Sunny and Magic. Since we
frequently pass by with carrots and apple wafers, he was soon hanging over
the stall chains into the hallway eagerly awaiting his turn. Ed, I'm afraid
we spoiled him...he got a lot of attention while he was here, both in the
barn and on the trail. <grin> At night, he was out on some lush grass with
Sunny. Hmmm....he may want to move in with Becky permanently!

Wednesday morning, we rode George and Sunny on Hemp Top Trail in the Cohutta
Wilderness to Double Spring Gap at the base of Big Frog Mountain on the
Tennessee line. This is a gentle, steady climb for about 10 miles. Years
ago, local residents grew Hemp as a crop here, thus the name.  At this
point, the trail becomes rocky and climbs steeply for a mile to the top of
Big Frog Mountain (From a distance, the mountain looks like a sitting frog)
at just over 4000 feet.  This is part of Tennessee's Big Frog Wilderness. At
this point, I suggested that Becky let George follow Sunny and we would
"tail" them up Big Frog Mountain.  Might not need it at Tevis, but couldn't
hurt and might be useful. George picked that up like he had been doing it
all his life!  I was impressed!  Becky did well, also. George had to wait
for her to rest a few times, but she almost made it to the top! <grin> We
explored the top of Big Frog for a while...riding around in the clouds.  The
visibility was only 20-30 yards in the heavy cloud cover.

We led the guys back down Big Frog and trotted back down Hemp Top into the
sunshine.  We were out about six hours and had just finished giving Sunny
and George their warm shower as the clouds rolled in and the rain started.
Hmmm....we were in a drought until Becky arrived...unfortunately, she didn't
take it back with her. It's STILL raining!

Thursday, I had planned to ride Magic, but he was limping badly at a walk on
the right front when we went down to the barn. <sigh> Since the guys got new
shoes on Tuesday, suspected a "hot nail". Sure enough after pulling the
shoe, the hoof testers showed him sensitive on the inside nail holes.  Off
again with George and Sunny.  This time, I took them on a completely
different type of trail. Tumbling Lead ("Lead" is another word for "ridge")
is a narrow ridgeline with a lot of short steep climbs and descents. The
trail is narrow in places along the steep slope of Bruce Top Mountain, and
close with trees, logs, briars, and brush. Becky practiced tailing on a
short climb with George leading this time and he did it perfectly! I even
got a pic!  At the end of this trail, there is a spectacular view to the
west of the Hemp Top Trail ridgeline and Big Frog Mountain across the
Tumbling Creek watershed.  To the East is a view of the mountains on the
other side of the town of Blue Ridge. Descending into the valley, we trotted
and cantered back on the FS road along Tumbling Creek, which was noisy and
ripping from all the rain.  Lots of waterfalls and sluices. We again just
beat the rain back to the barn.  We had planned a short night ride Thursday
evening, but the weather was marginal.  I was a little paranoid about being
careful, especially in the dark. Sure didn't want George to have a problem
this close to Tevis.

I was sorry they had to leave so soon. :( It was really nice to have a
training buddy again.  I enjoyed riding with Becky and George.  He and Sunny
paced great together....would really like to do a ride on Sunny with Becky
and George sometime.    Sure wish she lived closer. <sigh>

I know she will do well at Tevis.  George is gonna take great care of her!

Good Luck, Becky! Come back and ride soon!

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic