Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1612 Trotting up hills - Chipnml

I learned an interesting lesson several years ago when we had the same big hill to go up three times in the course of our ride.  The first time the horses were fresh and we trotted up.  My HRM read 210 at the top.  The second time we walked up and the HRM was 170.  The last time we got off and walked up, and the reading was 130 at the top.  I now walk up most hills.  We just finished a very difficult 2-day 100 this weekend using that philosophy.  Okay...we did it as two separate 50's.  I'm still too chicken to risk being pulled the 2nd day and lose all that mileage from the 1st day.

Chip