Re: Subject: Re: [RC] re: Loco Weed - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Weed management is not easy.

Some weeds respond well to periodic mowing.  The mowing allows the grasses to out compete them.  Others don't.  If you mow spotted knapweed, the major result is shorter healthy spotted knapweed.

Some weeds respond to a herd of goats.

There are insects that attack some weeds.

Some weeds must be treated (chemically or mowing or whatever) at certain times for optimum effect.

Different methods are applicable to 8 acres, than can be used on an 8000 A ranch.

The exact climate and ground water table is also a factor.

My advice is to study the weeds and control methods suitable for use in your area.  I have found that my county agent (Admittedly, a small sample in two counties in two states),  knew what to do and indeed ran classes in pest management. When you have enough information, you can develop a plan and work the plan.  The plan will probably include all or most of the things I mentioned above, plus some others I have not run across.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875