Re: [RC] re 'making money on a ride' - heidi

If this sport is to progress internationally -  this is an issue - Rides
have  to be 'business ventures' and make money.  I  have not put on a
ride.  Yet,  perhaps it is time..... so that I may truly  understand why
they do not make  money and to perhaps figure out how they  could.

I'm not sure I agree about them having to make money to progress
internationally.  The international rides are the least apt to make money,
in my experience, and are the ones that DO need sponsorship to pay the
bills.  Having put on a Pan-Am that was actually "in the black" (with a
budget in the neighborhood of $100,000) I agree that it has to be
business-like--we formed a 501(c) non-profit corporation so that we could
have sponsors deduct their contributions, and it was certainly all very
much a "business venture" in that regard.  But many major sporting events
do rely on the philanthropy of their sponsors--which I use to include not
only those who donate money, but also those who donate their time and
efforts to put the events on.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano