Re: [RC] Lynne & Complaints - victoria thompson

I've been keeping my nose out of this so far, but this takes the cake. I'm thoroughly outraged by the comments this person made with regards to Lynne. I'm usually all for letting people handle their own peckerwoods, but this one has me so hot under the collar I'm spitting bullets.

WHERE IS IT WRITTEN THAT A RIDE MANAGER MUST SHARE THEIR HOME WITH EVERY TOM, DICK AND JANE THAT DECIDES THEY WANT TO COME IN AND SAY, "THERE'S NO MEAL TICKET IN MY PACKET?"

That ride office WAS OUTSIDE Lynne's HOME. POLICE TAPE was stretched across areas we didn't want UNAUTHORIZED PEOPLE to go - including Lynne's HOME. Under whose authority did you breech that tape and enter her HOME? I can guarantee you it wasn't mine. There were plenty of knowledgeable volunteers manning the ride office THE ENTIRE WEEKEND that you never should have so much as had to think about talking to Lynne.

Lynne hadn't been living there for a week before this ride began. It was hard enough trying to manage her own move let alone put on BHB with the number of riders we knew were coming. But to have people show up, out of the blue, without any warning and expect to have ride packets and maps waiting for them, without the slightest realization of the amount of work it was going to take to get them on the roster is just plain RUDE.

And God forbid, Lynne didn't pray hard enough to the weather God's. IMHO people who do not understand the effects weather plays on their horses' abilities to perform do not belong in this sport. Very few people got lost (those that don't know how to watch carefully for ribbons) - when there are no trees to tie ribbons to I guess it's just too much for some people to look down closer to the ground for the markers. THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO CAME IN OVER TIME CAME IN LATE BECAUSE THEY KNEW IT WAS TOO HOT FOR THEIR HORSES AND THEMSELVES TO GO FASTER!

As for water, IF YOU PAID ATTENTION AT THE MEETING, Lynne specifically pointed out the places where she would be providing water. All other water found on the trail was put there by homeowners and WAS NOT TO BE COUNTED ON AS A RELIABLE SOURCE OF WATER. Lynne's water barrels were constantly being refilled. As for water in camp - what, ARE YOU TOO LAZY TO TAKE YOUR BUCKET TO THE HOSE? Did you ever stop to think that the reason there was no water truck in camp Saturday evening was because it was out filling troughs to be used the next day?

I've known for some time now that Lynne wasn't going to put on Norco THIS YEAR. It just became public knowledge with the return of an anonymous evaluation form, Lynne merely putting to rest any doubts she may have had upon making her decision awhile ago. I, for one, am glad because she needs time to devote to herself and her own riding.

Nobody but other ride managers knows all the details that go into putting on a ride. Delegating certain jobs to volunteers is a must, but that doesn't mean that job has been vanquished from the mind of the RM. We didn't have just horse emergencies that weekend - several people (not just riders) had to be taken to the hospital, including the son of Lynne's Trail Boss (her most important volunteer). His loss left a huge hole in Lynne's network. As far as I'm concerned there is absolutely no reason what so ever why the RM needs to be spoken to once people start entering ridecamp. THAT'S WHAT VOLUNTEERS ARE FOR. If a volunteer cannot help an entrant with their problem THEN THE VOLUNTEER CAN APPROACH THE RM.

I'm all for Lynne doing her next ride as a 'no frills', but truly mean no frills, and see how you like it then. If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times, people under the age of 40 have no concept of the meaning of GOOD MANNERS. Grow up and start appreciating what Lynne goes out of her way to do for you instead of pissing over her getting mad about UNINVITED PEOPLE LEAVING HER DOOR WIDE OPEN FOR HER CATS TO GET OUT!

Oh, and if you'd bother to open your eyes you would have seen a huge trailer right smack dab in front of the vet check filled with garbage.

Tori

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people ~ Karen Chaton