Re: [RC] Lynne & complaints - Tiffany D'Virgilio

I cannot believe the entitlement some people seem to feel. I have been to
Norco when the conditions were awful and did BarH both times. Unless Lynne
just became Mother Nature, these conditions were not her fault. I'm silly
enough to think a ride is a test for you and your horse on the trail that
day, taking conditions into account. My horse was clipped and fit as a
fiddle, and we did fine. This is in SoCal, plan on it being hot.
If you knew it was too hot, your horse was unfit and not clipped then God
gave you the brains to do the right thing and pull as soon as it becomes
prudent to do so. Unfortunately God did not give horses this same brain
power, so they must rely on the owner's brains to keep them both alive-no
one forced anyone to push too hard or ride too far.
I also recall that I got copious amounts of fruit, water and help at all
checks, and more horse feed, including wet bran and carrots than I could
shake a stick at. I also got natural water on the trail. Quite a bit of it
on that last loop too. Lynne went out of her way to find my lost bag with
vet card, camera, sunscreen, etc, as well as being really gracious about
having to make me a new vet card at the first check. Without complaining I
might add. Far more important than any of this is what Lynne has offered me
since I showed up doing my first ride ever in the most extreme conditions at
Norco, which I finished when it was 112 in the shade. She offered me
mentorship, just enough guidance, a ride when I needed it, not to mention
hauling my horse home after I was injured and hauled myself home early.
Without complaining.
As a RM she offered just what I needed and was there to encourage and guide
a new to AERC rider without making me feel like I owed her anything. She did
it out of goodness, and love of the sport. I've only heard her say good
things about people. If we don't need people like her to manage rides and
freely offer guidance than something is wrong.
I want a challenge at a ride, not a pacifier. I appreciate that Lynne treats
riders like grownups capable of taking care of themselves and their equine
partners. If I wanted hand holding I would participate in another facet of
horsemanship. It makes me very sad that people who can't accept
responsibility for their team drive rides out of business. I want more
rides, not less. Especially two awesome rides like Norco and BarH. When
breakfasts, wakeup calls, great food, refreshments including red bull and
the like aren't enough, what the heck is? Besides the awesome scenery, good
vets and volunteers-have I missed anything, cuz you get it all at Lynne's
rides.

Tiffany
They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~  Dr. Barney Flemming DVM