Re: [RC] LETTER TO AHA ON-LINE AND READY TO SIGN - heidi

I know many of you have given up on the Registry in the past

Well, actually, no--I don't know of very many people who have "given up"
on the Registry.  In my experience, the service from the Registry has done
nothing but improve over the past 30+ years.  It is IAHA that we have
"given up" on.  (And I know a LARGE number of people who have done that.)
Many people seem to confuse the two different functions--registration
ensures parentage verification, makes sure that the horse in question is
who he is represented to be, takes care of transfers of ownership, etc.,
and the former AHR did a very good job of this.  The promotional arm, the
former IAHA, is the one that sanctions shows, hires judges, enforces show
rules (if one can call it that) and is responsible for most of the current
public image of the Arabian horse.  Granted, the Registry did put out a
certain amount of breed informational material--but they are NOT the ones
who have made a mockery of our breed.  One needs to have the two different
organizations and two different functions straight when looking at this
situation.

And despite the merger, in which both functions are now under the AHA
name, Mr. Benedict (a great guy) is still the director of Special
Services, which is a function of the Registry portion of AHA--NOT on the
"show side" of the organization.  Special Services deals with such issues
as how to get papers when there are legal issues involved, how to sort out
and seek out necessary paperwork for horses that have transferred through
several owners without the paperwork keeping up with them, etc.  I have
the utmost respect for Mr. Benedict and others in the Registry side--they
do a great job, but they have had to reap what IAHA has sowed, right along
with the rest of us.

So please, if you are going to state that some of us have "given up" on
something, at least get it straight what it is that we have given up on.

Heidi

If people would just think of the hoof as the foundation for the horse like
a house foundation.  when your horse plants his foot down in the ground and
pushes forward if the foot isn't 100% balanced your chances of injury go
up.
~  Paula Blair