RE: [RC] Drinking out of a Water tank - Mcgann, Barbara

This possibility never occured to us, until we experienced it (not directly,
maybe witnessed is a better word).

On our way from Idaho to the Klickitat ride, there are a couple of rest stops
that have horse facilities - an area to park your truck/trailer, an enclosed
turnout area with lush grass.  There is one on the westbound lanes and also one
on the eastbound.  I was driving along spacing out the way you do when driving
long distances, and woke up and realized that I had just passed the exit for
the rest area westbound.  We went to the next exit, turned around and went back
to the stop on the east side.  When we unloaded, we noticed that the fence for
the enclosed turnout was down, so the horses ended up tied to the trailer all
night.  The next day, we got underway again, (after first going back east 10
miles to the next exit so we could cross over and go west).  The whole time, I
am being kidded about what an idiot I was to miss the westbound rest area, and
how inconvenient it was to go back and then not even be able to turn the horses
out.

At the ride, though, some friends pulled in and parked next to us.  Before they
even got the horse out of the trailer, we could all see that he was violently
ill.  Long story short - they HAD stopped at the westbound rest area, the
fences were up, they turned the horse out in the grass.  The vets all agreed
that he was suffering some type of poisoning.  The horse was treated and ended
up OK.  Undoubtedly, the highway crew thinking they're going to get the grass
to grow better had treated it with weed-killer.  In hindsight, we thought the
grass in our rest area looked different, but not enough to alarm us.  There
were no signs indicating that it had been sprayed recently.

Since then, despite the temptation, our horses eat the feed we bring from home
except the day of the ride when we will let them graze along the trail.  I
suppose that, too, is a risk, but the chances are less that the desert and
mountain trails have been sprayed.

Barb McGann