[RC] Drining out of troughs/eating dry grass - GarnerT

This is a little off topic re:drinking out of troughs, but what the heck.  A
friend & I did a ride last summer in a mountainous region of the western
United States (no names)!  At the isolated vet checks, the vets yelled at us
for letting our horse eat the dry grass on the verge of the road (there was
no wet beet pulp, carrots, sloppy bran mashes, or hay available at any of
the vet checks).  We couldn't believe that they preferred our horses to eat
nothing all day.  We said O.K., went out of sight & let our horses graze for
the hold.  Crews & crew bags were not an option for this ride.  Luckily, the
hour hold was back at base camp where the horses were able to really eat.

We know dry grass is probably the worst choice of feed on a ride, but it's
better than nothing!

Kathy & Taz

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm