Re: [RC] Drining out of troughs/eating dry grass - heidi

This is a little off topic re:drinking out of troughs, but what the
heck.  A friend & I did a ride last summer in a mountainous region of
the western United States (no names)!  At the isolated vet checks, the
vets yelled at us for letting our horse eat the dry grass on the verge
of the road (there was no wet beet pulp, carrots, sloppy bran mashes, or
hay available at any of the vet checks).  We couldn't believe that they
preferred our horses to eat nothing all day.  We said O.K., went out of
sight & let our horses graze for the hold.  Crews & crew bags were not
an option for this ride.  Luckily, the hour hold was back at base camp
where the horses were able to really eat.

We know dry grass is probably the worst choice of feed on a ride, but
it's better than nothing!

Wow, Kathy, I find that amazing!  Unless the grass had been sprayed with
something (in which case I think they would have said!) I find the dry
grass to often be my horses' preference at checks, particularly a lot of
the native grasses.  If they are really hungry, they can pack in more
nutrition that way, and I also think that the dry grass is "nature's
electrolytes."  As long as they are drinking well, it isn't an issue in
terms of hydration, IMO.

I would have done exactly what you did--or I might have even gotten into a
discussion with the vets as to WHY they were so upset about it, and
offered a differing point of view...  :-)

Heidi

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~  Dr. Barney Flemming DVM