[RC] Changing Bit Question - Becky Rohwer

I have been riding my mare for many years now with a curb bit.  It has a medium length shank and is a broken bit, not solid.  I hope I have described it OK.  Also, I use a leather strap, not a chain.  I am not too into knowing what all the different types of bits are, but think I am about to learn more.

OK, here is the deal.  She is doing much more head flipping lately and I am tired of it.  It has been suggested that I put a martingale on her.  But I was told that I shouldn't use one with the type of bit I use.  A friend suggested going to a full cheek snaffle.  This horse is mostly controllable.  She can trot like a freight train sometimes but is normally not a handful.  But it seems like the better in shape she gets the more head flipping we go through as she is ready to go, go, go.

If I were to change from my current set up to a full cheek snaffle with martingale, what type of problems might I have to deal with?  Should I first try this in an arena rather than out on the trail?  This is a 16 yo mare, so is not some youngster I am dealing with here.  Although don't tell her that. ;-)

Becky R. - Montana
 & RS Picara the freight train