Re: [RC] Changing Bit Question - Chris Paus

Have  you had someone analyze your riding? My gelding,
Star is like that. I wear my arms out holding him
back.

Then I gave up competing for awhile and took some
dressage lessons. I learned how my seat and legs kept
telling him to go when my arms were saying whoa. The
poor boy! No wonder he'd shake his head and prance and
act up.

I can't say I'm a perfect rider, but I'm better and
voila.. as I have gotten better, he has calmed down!
He's a teenager too, 17, and still can yank my arms
out of the sockets if he really gets wound up...

And I'm no beginner. I'm 53 and have been riding since
I was 3, owned my own horse since I was 13. But I was
amazed how much I had been doing wrong all these
years. Most of my horses were tolerant of me, but I
found one that asked me back, what the heck do you
want!

chris

--- Becky Rohwer <rj7647@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been riding my mare for many years now with a
curb bit.  It has a medium length shank and is a
broken bit, not solid.  I hope I have described it
OK.  Also, I use a leather strap, not a chain.  I am
not too into knowing what all the different types of
bits are, but think I am about to learn more.

OK, here is the deal.  She is doing much more head
flipping lately and I am tired of it.  It has been
suggested that I put a martingale on her.  But I was
told that I shouldn't use one with the type of bit I
use.  A friend suggested going to a full cheek
snaffle.  This horse is mostly controllable.  She
can trot like a freight train sometimes but is
normally not a handful.  But it seems like the
better in shape she gets the more head flipping we
go through as she is ready to go, go, go.

If I were to change from my current set up to a full
cheek snaffle with martingale, what type of problems
might I have to deal with?  Should I first try this
in an arena rather than out on the trail?  This is a
16 yo mare, so is not some youngster I am dealing
with here.  Although don't tell her that. ;-)

Becky R. - Montana
 & RS Picara the freight train

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
It is how we "feel" deep inside that matters, cause each of us knows the
truth, regardless of how we try make it complicated.  It just isn't.
~ Frank Solano