Re: [RC] Bitting, shallow mouth - Chris Paus

I've got one horse who loves his French Link and three
who hate them...

chris---

We solved the same problem by going to a French-link
snaffle.  I really
don't want a curb bit on some of my horses--they
just don't need it, and I
still want to be able to use a direct rein.  We've
had several fuss about
regular snaffles, but not a one fuss about the
French link.  It's the only
snaffle we use now.

When I do go to a curb bit, I use a solid
port-mouthed loose-shanked
pelham called a Hartwell pelham.  Hard to find them
anymore.  They like
the mouth, and the short, loose shanks make it not
out of the question to
use a direct rein if need be, even if one is only
using the curb rein.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The
Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over
sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano

ridecamp.net information:
http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~  Dr. Barney Flemming DVM