[RC] Bitting, shallow mouth - DreamWeaver

----------
I have a mare with a shallow mouth. She can get her tongue over most shanked bits. A regular snaffle is not quite enough on the trail. I was wondering about the Myler bits but wasn't too crazy about spending over $100 on a bit. Suggestions please.

Hi Debby -- I have had to work thru that same issue this year too. I was using a bit that worked on my horse, but after 3 day rides his mouth was getting sore around the corners of the lips. I had borrowed and tried several bits on him and a lot of them just didn't fit. I ended up getting a Myler bit from Sportack and it worked very well for all 5 days of Cold Springs. It's a low ported kimberwick, narrow. I think it did cost almost $100, but it was well worth it to finally find something that the horse was happy in, can eat in while on the trail, and doesn't make him sore or uncomfortable after 5 days. On the second day after lunch I did rub some hair off of his chin with the chain, so I wrapped it in vetwrap and solved that problem. Probably looks weird, but hey---it works! The bit is probably about a 1/4 to 1/2" bigger than his mouth, but again--it works so I'm not changing a thing! He needs the little extra space so that when he grabs bites to eat on the trail he can chew without the bit rubbing or causing him to get sore anywhere. I've tried riding him in all sorts of things, a S-hack, a vosal, tons of various bits. I definitely cannot ride him in some of that stuff, even on the last day after lunch on a multiday he pulls and wants to go too fast. But in this myler bit, he rates well and I can do that with a loose rein. I can't stand to ride a horse that pulls, especially for multiple days.

This is a photo of the bit: http://www.sportack.com/images/P3-KIM23435.jpg I think I may take the chain off and replace it with biothane.

Karen
in Nv

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland