Re: [RC] Bitting, shallow mouth - Jennifer Layman

I found the Myler book to be extremely useful too to help you select the right bit the first time.  It is a good investment before you spend $100.00 on the bit itself.  I too have had extreme luck with the Mylers, but with my two different horses, too very different Mylers worked.  I keep thinking I just need to sell bits, but offer a trial program. I would love to try bits before I buy... since I have a box full of them.  Must say, I stopped adding to the box once I bought the Myler Book.

Jennifer
PS At the AERC convention a couple years ago, one of the Mylers was a guest speaker.  I went up as a volunteer for one of his demos.  He put a standard snaffle across my arm and pulled fairly gently on the bit as a rider would.   My arm was bruised for a week, and I don't bruise.  It opened my eyes that a snaffle is not necessarily as kind as everyone thinks.

DreamWeaver <nvrider@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>----------
>I have a mare with a shallow mouth. She can get her tongue over most
>shanked bits. A regular snaffle is not quite enough on the trail. I was
>wondering about the Myler bits but wasn't too crazy about spending over
>$100 on a bit. Suggestions please.

Hi Debby -- I have had to work thru that same issue this year too. I was
using a bit that worked on my horse, but after 3 day rides his mouth was
getting sore around the corners of the lips. I had borrowed and tried
several bits on him and a lot of them just didn't fit. I ended up getting
a Myler bit from Sportack and it worked very well for all 5 days of Cold
Springs. It's a low ported kimberwick, narrow. I think it did cost almost
$100, but it was well worth it to finally find something that the horse was
happy in, can eat in while on the trail, and doesn't make him sore or
uncomfortable after 5 days. On the second day after lunch I did rub some
hair off of his chin with the chain, so I wrapped it in vetwrap and solved
that problem. Probably looks weird, but hey---it works! The bit is
probably about a 1/4 to 1/2" bigger than his mouth, but again--it works so
I'm not changing a thing! He needs the little extra space so that when he
grabs bites to eat on the trail he can chew without the bit rubbing or
causing him to get sore anywhere. I've tried riding him in all sorts of
things, a S-hack, a vosal, tons of various bits. I definitely cannot ride
him in some of that stuff, even on the last day after lunch on a multiday
he pulls and wants to go too fast. But in this myler bit, he rates well
and I can do that with a loose rein. I can't stand to ride a horse that
pulls, especially for multiple days.

This is a photo of the
bit: http://www.sportack.com/images/P3-KIM23435.jpg I think I may take
the chain off and replace it with biothane.

Karen
in Nv

Riding alone is when you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland