[RC] Stallion leaves mares! - Rosalie Marley

I had a surprise this morning.  I am keeping my stallion with the two mares,
trying for
May foals next year.  They have lived together off and on for the last year or
so. I
looked out in the foggy pasture, and saw the mares and 2 month old - they are
mostly white (snowcap and leopard markings) so they show up well.  I didn't see
my
bay stallion.... I moved to see more of the pasture, and he was outside the
fence!
Never heard of a stallion _leaving_ the mares!

I caught him easily and put him in another pasture, and checked for damage.  He
was fine, just one little scrape where he went to visit my gelding (who's
living in a
panel corral) and must've pawed a panel.  The fence he got out of is 4-wire
tensile,
with electric in two strands.  A wooden fence post was snapped at ground level.
suspect things got rowdy last night and he got shoved out.  In a 17 acre field,
why do
they hang out along the fenceline?  The fence was just installed about 2 months
ago,
so I have a call in with the fencer to replace the post.

Anyhow, I know horses get out of fences, but I'm very happy that there were no
injuries.  Although the fence wire is tight enough not to sag, there is enough
give that
it didn't cut him, and it sprang back into place so that the other horses were
still
enclosed.

Rosalie Marley
There are few places where the horse does not fit in; at least in my world,
as delusional as that one may be.
~  Howard Bramhall