Re: [RC] Bitting, shallow mouth - heidi

Oh, wow~! I think this might be what's wrong with my appy mare, she is
shallow mouthed and hates the snaffle, but I've just finally started
thinking about  trying the curb. What a well-timed email! I'll give it a
try and see what  happens. Thanks, laura
Hi Deby,

My sweet gray gelding, Zabbie, also has a shallow
mouth. My goodness what horses teach us!

I was for years in the camp of "if you can't ride in a
snaffle, then something's wrong with the rider."

Zabbie taught me about horse mouths and shapes and bit
comfort. He turned what I thought to be true upside
down.

We solved the same problem by going to a French-link snaffle.  I really
don't want a curb bit on some of my horses--they just don't need it, and I
still want to be able to use a direct rein.  We've had several fuss about
regular snaffles, but not a one fuss about the French link.  It's the only
snaffle we use now.

When I do go to a curb bit, I use a solid port-mouthed loose-shanked
pelham called a Hartwell pelham.  Hard to find them anymore.  They like
the mouth, and the short, loose shanks make it not out of the question to
use a direct rein if need be, even if one is only using the curb rein.

Heidi

I still prefer what it is that BH100, Tevis, The Duck's Soup of Endurance,
etc. has to offer...but, to see a horse canter over sand for those
distances...Good Lord, it humbles me.
~  Frank Solano