[RC] re: public image of the Arabian horse - oddfarm

Lif, that was an excellent post with so many valid points. Heidi's follow up also brought up some great observations. I don't have anything against showing. I do have a major problem with the direction the shows have gone. Who ever said, "and fewer yet have the desire to push the limits of their horses and themselves to the extremes that some do.", comparing shows to endurance riding can't be completely blind to not see the extreme limits that show horses are pushed to and the stress that is created in that atmosphere. And, if one wants to put that much time and energy into showing, they might as well ride more than a few minutes. That is just my opinion.

I read an article in our local Horse and Pony newspaper about what breed to pick as your first horse. I can't find my letter that I sent to the writer of this article but in short, she said she would never, ever recommend an Arabian or Thoroughbred. Guess what my letter to her said?  :)

Even as qualified as she may have been as a trainer, in the show ring, or as a horse owner, she was not qualified in my opinion to make that statement. I told her I couldn't comment on Thoroughbreds as I had never owned one but I knew something about Arabians. Her opinions were based on show horses. Mine were based on trail horses, competitive horses, back yard pets and members of the family. That's the Arabian I know. That is the kind of Arabian that lives in our family. All 6 of them. And my Arabs are not unique, (special to us, of course) as I am sure all of us could tell the same story. My description is of the kind of Arabian I see at MY competitions.

I also told her that as with any breed of any animal, it all depends on the owner. Bad dogs, stupid owners. Crazy horses, stupid owners. Can ya see where I'm going with this?

I have seen more people at rides, including families, volunteers, vets and spectators than I have ever seen at any of our bigger regions shows. Of course I haven't been to a show in a long, long time but the rides get bigger every year. There may have been more horses at the shows, but one rider could ride 4 or 5 horses in different classes.

I like to take people riding and LOVE to talk horses. When they find out they are riding an Arab, the response is always the same. "I always heard Arabs were crazy!"
Now that is not to say, we don't have a few odd ones in the breed, but CRAZY? Nah.

The AHR does have a program where registered owners can sign up to be "ambassadors" for the breed by having potential and new owners call and or visit to get to know the Arabian breed. I signed up for it, but have yet to hear from any one. I just make it a habit to promote Arabians every chance I get. As I am sure we all do :)

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd FArm
Is everybody riding?? I hope so.