Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - heidi

2. The new (never owned a horse before) horse owner is probably looking
for a gentile, kid safe (safe and horse are an oxymoron, but lets go
with the flow here), horse.  He/she probably envisions his child in a 4H
or Pony Club show.  Arabian halter classes do not promote this image.
The moneyed people who control the sport do not really want the game
they play so well changed.

This, Ed, is one of the BIGGEST problems in how our breed is promoted,
IMO.  I can't imagine a sensible dad looking at a crazed halter photo or
an on-the-edge park horse photo and figuring this is something he would
buy for his little girl.

3. There are a bunch of horsepersons who do team penning, cutting, and
reining.  Most (but not all) use Quarter horses.  This is an area where
more publicity could increase sales of Arabians and part Arabians.

Publicity and PARTICIPATION!

4. Most dedicated trail riders in this country, feel that Arabian horses
have two drawbacks.  First, they are wild and trustworthy.  Even riding
along side of your Arabian does not change their mind.  They tell you
that your horse is the exception.  Secondly, most trailriders are cowboy
wannabes.  John Wayne did not ride an Arabian.  I don't know how to
change these perceptions.

Again, participation is the key.  If we aren't out there ON our horses, we
can't expect people to believe us.  (And quite frankly, I get a little ill
when some of the wannabe show breeders just "assume" that since some of
the rest of us have worked our fannies off to breed well-conformed, sound,
good-minded endurance horses and have had success in the sport that their
horses can automatically do it on our coat tails...)  And although John
Wayne may not have ridden an Arab, Ronald Reagan did...  ;-)

Heidi

...but then, I do ride my horses a lot more than most people
~  Karen Chaton