Re: [RC] Letters to the World -- showing - heidi

I have no disagreement with what you are saying, Liv -- about appealing
to people for trail riding and limited distance. Yet I still feel that
trail riding is not going to first attract people to the breed as much
as family fun events at shows.

Bette, by your own admission, you are not an endurance rider.  You have
not seen the numbers of people who come into contact with Arabians because
some friend who is a ride manager twisted their arm into coming to help at
a ride, or the people who meet endurance riders out on the trail
conditioning and are awed and amazed that these horses are calm,
tractable, and friendly.

I agree that local and fun shows are also a draw--but I don't think you
realize how many of our endurance horses DO come into contact with
non-Arab people and thus have an opportunity to change images.  We do not
live in a vacuum in the sport of distance riding--we ARE exposed to the
public, even though they aren't sitting in bleachers watching.  And it is
even more overwhelming when a non-Arab person is running a clipboard or a
stethoscope and comes into contact face-to-face and hands-on with these
horses--they are right down in the middle of things, and are often
incredulous about what they see from that vantage point.

Heidi

If you treat an Arab like a Thoroughbred, it will behave like a Quarter
horse.
~  Libby Llop