Re: [RC] Ride vs. walk on hills - heidi

My horse is pretty good at downhills, and I generally ride him downhill.
But there's this one downhill at Prineville that must be 45 degrees. I
rode down it first time I did it, and have jogged down ever since. It's
faster, easier on the horse, and a LOT easier on my nerves. It isn't bad
trail, so I wouldn't call it treacherous, but it is steep. He can go
down it a lot faster when he doesn't have to worry about not dumping me
along the way.

<grin> Of course, if my legs were as short as your's, I might take your
approach! </grin>

Well, having once lived by Boyce Corrals on the grasslands near the
Prineville ride, and having ridden everything on that ride as a training
trail at one time or another, I can tell you that they don't even come
CLOSE to some of the really STEEP stuff up there.  (Ask some of the
old-timers about "Cardiac Hill" that I used to put in the Circuit Rider
ride, until we had a really muddy year and couldn't use it anymore...
<g>)  And I never found a single place in the whole grasslands that I
wouldn't prefer to ride down--most of them at a jog, if too steep to
actually trot well.  I was always really enamored with the grasslands,
because it was all so much easier to ride rapidly than the stuff I grew up
on!

And even on my not-so-terrific downhill horse, I can guarantee that for ME
it is still easier and faster to ride down those.  The other horse I'm
currently riding is much more adept at going downhill, and I can't think
of a thing on the Prineville trail that would slow him down much.

I'm sure your longer legs would make you more able to go down quickly on
foot.  But I'd also submit that the reason it is "easier" is because you
and your horse simply have not conquered the art of it together...  ;-)

Heidi  (whose short legs give her more incentive to teach the horse to do
it right in the first place...  <g>)

There is something really special about getting to ride all day, and all
night on your horse. I know that a lot of people like to get finished, and
get it over with. Yes, it is a lot of work. But, realize that each ride,
especially a 100 is a really special gift and savor it for all it is worth.
~  Karen Chaton