[RC] Ride vs. walk on hills - David LeBlanc

Heidi said:

My other point is that a lot depends on your riding ability
vs your walking ability, as well as your horse.  Some of us
are far more secure in the saddle than on foot in treacherous
terrain.  More power to those of you who can do it afoot--I'm
not suggesting you do otherwise.  I'm merely pointing out
that it isn't the logical solution for everybody.

My horse is pretty good at downhills, and I generally ride him downhill. But
there's this one downhill at Prineville that must be 45 degrees. I rode down
it first time I did it, and have jogged down ever since. It's faster, easier
on the horse, and a LOT easier on my nerves. It isn't bad trail, so I
wouldn't call it treacherous, but it is steep. He can go down it a lot
faster when he doesn't have to worry about not dumping me along the way.

<grin> Of course, if my legs were as short as your's, I might take your
approach! </grin>

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher