Re: [RC] [RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD - heidi

As one that has lived in the East and lived in the Rockies, the
mountains are different. The Appalachians are a set of long steep ridges
 formed by a major uplift. They tend to be steeper than the western
mountains - except maybe the western slope of the Sierras. The
Massanutten range is like most of the Appalachian range - very steep
ridgelines with few gaps. On most of these decents - on foot is probably
 the best way to go.

I've galloped down mountains in the Rockies but I sure don't think I
would try it on the OD.

I've also heard people oooh and ahhh over Cougar Rock at Tevis.  I've been
over it twice, and was still wondering where the big rock was after it was
behind me.

It's all in what you're used to.  There is stuff here in central Idaho
where I grew up riding that I wouldn't even dream of running a ride
over--yet we rode it routinely day in and day out when I was younger.

My other point is that a lot depends on your riding ability vs your
walking ability, as well as your horse.  Some of us are far more secure in
the saddle than on foot in treacherous terrain.  More power to those of
you who can do it afoot--I'm not suggesting you do otherwise.  I'm merely
pointing out that it isn't the logical solution for everybody.

Heidi

Common sense should also be a part of the decision making process. If you
see someone who doesn't have any, hand them your tool box.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm