Re: [RC] [RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD - Barbara McCrary

I think the eastern slope of the Sierras is much steeper than the western slope.  The western slope starts with foothills and gets steeper as you go east, but the eastern slope just sort of drops off................Of course, there's a lot of stuff in the middle that is pretty wild!!!!!!!  Been there on foot with backpack.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD

As one that has lived in the East and lived in the Rockies, the mountains are different. The Appalachians are a set of long steep ridges formed by a major uplift. They tend to be steeper than the western mountains - except maybe the western slope of the Sierras. The Massanutten range is like most of the Appalachian range - very steep ridgelines with few gaps. On most of these decents - on foot is probably the best way to go.

I've galloped down mountains in the Rockies but I sure don't think I would try it on the OD.

Truman

Flora Hillman wrote:
Heidi said ..."But I've found over the years that unless it is durn near vertical, 4-leg drive beats heck out of 2-leg drive any day!"

Except for Sherman's Gap in the OD.

Until you've actually ridden that 3 mile west face trail up, and 3 mile east face trail down the Massanutten, you have NO idea of how very difficult, rocky, rough, AND exhaustingly vertical it is on the upper portion of the trail.  My pony goes downhill like an Olympic slalom skier, and is a powerful hill climber, but I've ridden Sherman's Gap enough times (and this year marking and unmarking the west face)  to know  the final approach to the top is by tailing up (or leading down on the descent).  The smart people get off and lead that final mile to the top, trust me, AND they lead down the first 2 miles on the east face.

And Mary is right -- on the OD's steep rocky slopes you can move MUCH faster leading your horse, and lower greatly the risk of loosing horseshoes. I'm a pretty good "downhiller" myself, and  leading my horse in hand on the most difficult sections of the OD I've easily passed (at a relaxed jog with my pony jogging behind me) other riders still sitting in the saddle as their horses struggle to pick their way through the rocks.

The OD  is like no other ride -- you can't "book" down the slopes of the Massanuttens no matter how athletic and talented your horse, unless you're willing to risk some very serious injury to either yourself OR your horse.   I will guarantee that if you ever  ride the OD, and come face to face Sherman's Gap at the 80 mile point of the OD 100, you'd  be singing a different song.

--

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]-->