Re: [RC] Man vs. Horse speeds & Shermans Gap at the OD - Flora Hillman

Actually, there are plenty of places with fabulous footing along the OD trail -- principally in the level valleys and coming down from Skyline Drive in Shenandoah Nat'l Park on Land's End at the start -- where you can REALLY book it, and make up the time spent having to walk the rocky stretches of the Massanuttens.

The prior year that I did the OD 50, my guy probably hit Mach 5 coming down Land's End, enroute to McCoy's Ford.  The descent was several miles of a wide gravel vehicle-worthy road leading into wide soft dirt woodland trails interspersed with quiet (public) gravel roads and open fields -- custom made for a downhiller to really show it's talent! My friend told me she blinked as my pony went into downhill gear at the crossing of Skyline Drive .... and I was gone. That was the last we saw of one another on the whole ride.

Of course, you had to climb that multi-mile rise heading back home. :-)

Nothing is ever a giveaway on the OD!